Sunday, June 28, 2009

Get Back, Part II

The next morning, I circled the Chicago airport a dozen times, covering ten or less miles per hour. Of course, I did this for fun, and not because the security guards wouldn't let me stay in the pick-up area for more than two minutes at a time, and dad's plane was over fifteen minutes late.

After picking dad up, we headed into Chicago. It was readily apparent that the city was enormous, and we would have nothing like enough time to explore all of it. It was just as apparent that the cost of parking was going to require one of us to sell a kidney, so we needed to find a single safe spot and never move the car on pain of death. We checked in to the Hilton Chicago, which my mother had booked at an incredibly discounted rate online, and parked the car in their nice, expensive garage. We spent the day questing about Chicago. Our conclusions: the Art Institute is beautiful, but way too expensive for two men who have little appreciation for modern artwork. Chicago's hot dogs are good, but overrated. Deep-dish pizza is likewise quite good, but does not excel what can be found at a good Pizza hut, and doesn't hold a candle to a Lupi's calzone. Finally, the ride up the Sears' tower is well worth the cost of tickets, especially when the electronic payment system breaks down and your dad gets in free because he only has a debit card, although this does cause you some mental anguish since you already paid with cash. I'd like to post some pictures of the city from above, but I don't have them on this PC, and my flash drive is elsewhere. So, I'll post again with these pictures, and I'll do what I can to describe the enormity of Chicago viewed from above. It is truly staggering.

No comments:

Post a Comment