Sunday, July 7, 2013

Driving Lessons, Part 1: Detached Defense


I’m going to do a couple of posts on the things I’ve learned by travelling in Phnom Penh traffic.  The first is a lesson on detachment.  Today, riding home, I found myself clinging to the back of a motorcycle, cruising down a major highway during an afternoon storm in the early part of the tropical rainy season, with no jacket, being driven down the wrong side of the highway by a Dutch woman who started this mad escapade with the simple caution of, "Forgive me."  While my dress shirt and leather shoes became utterly sodden, and I stared into oncoming traffic and slid along wet pavement, the only thought I could fixate on was, "If they would just use coins instead of paper bills for their small currency in this country, I wouldn't have to worry about my wallet getting wet."  Nevermind the monsoons and imminent collisions, I was worried about my lunch money. Yes, it’s absurd, but it’s also a typical experience for most people who have travelled in developing countries.  In the Dominican Republic, myself and the missions team I was with sat in the back of minivans and watched our driver dodge cows and motorbikes plastered with pictures of Christ and the Virgin.  In Kenya, I once saw a bus driver lean out the window, while driving in heavy traffic, and conduct negotiations with the other drivers around him, through shouting and hand signals, to decide who would go first through the bottleneck.  It’s just part of driving out here, and you eventually get tired of tensing up at every pothole and road-rage fiend, so you just go with it.  But just going with it isn’t a pure act of exhaustion.  There’s also a strange detachment that comes on you when you’re sitting in the back seat and someone else is driving.  I’ve even experienced it riding in the back of a taxi in Nashville, where drivers come from developing countries and don’t bother to adapt their driving styles to a civilized highway system.  
My pet theory, which has no scientific basis, is that the detachment is partially due to the visual effect of the interposition of another human being between you and the threats that are ahead of you.  I think the brain interprets that body in front of you as a sort of total wall, as if to say, "Well, that guy (or lady) is the one who’s going to get obliterated when that truck hits this motorcycle," totally oblivious to the fact that his (or her) tiny, squishy body just might not absorb all the force of the diesel-powered behemoth barreling toward you.  


But it’s also a mental choice.  If I so chose, I could focus on the traffic scenarios unfolding around me, and be terrified on every morning and evening commute.  Instead, I choose to focus on the detachment that arises from the mental illusion I’ve described, and use it as a mental defense.  It preserved my sanity when my motodup swerved around a stopped dumptruck at the last moment, and leaned us toward said truck so that my head passed within centimeters of the bright orange, solid steel corner of the bed at twenty miles per hour, or the time that another motodup jumped a curb, dodged a fruit cart, and took a shortcut through the twenty inch gap between a telephone pole and a concrete wall. And, any motorcycle rider can tell you that you need a certain amount of detachment and boldness to preserve your safety in a situation where hesitation can mean getting run over, or dropping your bike doing forty.  I would have collapsed into a panicked mess a dozen times already if not for this aloof response. 
That detachment-as-defense is what I’m driving at (heh) here.  Like choosing to ride a motorcycle at all, it presents certain clear and significant risks.  However, if one must ride in Cambodian traffic, it is necessary.  Similarly, it’s easy for people who are conscious of the world’s problems to get caught up in the sheer magnitude of the threat surrounding them and their fellow people.  That goes double for those of us who are actively engaged in fighting perpetrators of crimes against children.  We could be engaged all the time, and, as one district attorney postulated to me, we might even be more effective for putting in all the extra hours and effort.  But, as the social workers in my office constantly remind us, we would also burn out rapidly and probably pick up mental illnesses along the way.  Instead, we have to practice a certain level of detachment from our work in order to protect ourselves from it.  That can come across harsh, or uncaring, especially considering the nature of what we do.  But people in a position to know tell me that it’s healthy, and everyone has a story about the mental breakdown that happens when you don’t practice this detachment.  That principle is useful for the non-professionally engaged as well.  I’ve heard many people over the years express guilt when they encounter stories of the global violent abuse that many people live with every day.  That kind of concern has its place, and can be a healthy motivator, but Phnom Penh traffic has taught me that you have to eventually draw a line and choose to detach yourself from the threats and the powerlessness, so that you can keep functioning. After all, someone who can function can keep fighting; the same cannot be said of someone who has become consumed with frustration, guilt, and helplessness over the magnitude of the world’s problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment