Friday, May 22, 2009

I Hear Tell, You're Doin' Well, Good Things Have Come to You

I was hoping to be able to get the story of my road trip finished, but I’ve had to work too late for that. A long evening of good solid work it was, and now that I’m sitting in the loft of a rather lovely summer lodge, overlooking a crackling fire and a room full of pleasantly inebriated guests, I am happily exhausted. And, as I type out a few thoughts while sitting in an easy chair with a mug of tea and a pot of hot water, I think myself a proper English scholar.

I’ve begun to regard this place as a good temporary home. I’ll be glad to leave it behind as soon as I reasonably can, but for now, it is a beautiful place and I am resolved to explore and enjoy it to the fullest possible extent.

Much of my newfound contentment has come about as a result of the encouragement that I receive daily, almost hourly, from all of you back home. I’ve also been helped along by the knowledge of your prayers. The words, “I’ll pray for you,” have never been much more to me than a nice, but truly pithy, bit of consolation. One may as well have said, “Hang in there, sport;” or “keep a stiff upper lip.” Now, though, I hold those words as real truth, and take them as a promise of real, holy encouragement. Does the phrase “holy encouragement” seem odd? It did to me, until I read the first chapter of Paul’s epistle to the Romans. There, I found that Paul longed to share a spiritual gift with the Roman church, a church which he had desired to visit more than any other for years. What great gift could the Apostle to the Gentiles be so eager to share with the single most powerful church of the Western world? Encouragement, plain, simple, and life-sustaining.

In addition to the fortitude I’ve taken from your collective support, I’ve been able to settle in a bit over the last two weeks, and life here has taken on a certain sort of normalcy. As my father promised, a few days with a solid routine allowed me to adjust to the point of determination. Because of some successful time spent here, I could contemplate a bit more, and knew that I could endure the summer.

However, endurance alone might make for a miserable time. Instead, God saw my paltry wager of grudging endurance and raised me true joy. I remembered that I am to be content in all things, because of the marvelous gift of salvation and righteousness that I’ve been given. If, as the prophet Micah wrote, the righteous are to live by faith, then surely I can exercise faith in the hope I have. I mean both hope for a spiritual transformation, as well as hope for an enjoyable summer, and while these two may exist on entirely different planes of consequence, I want both very much. Finally, I live in the hope that one day this time away from home will end, and I can look back on it as a time of growth and peace, and spiritual discipline, and then move forward without a single regret. So, I can be content in the place I have found myself, and I can press onward and upward.

All this is to say that I’m doing better. The things that you’ve all said or written to me have been moments of home to me while I’ve been far off; while bound to this place, and not entirely thrilled about that bondage, your thoughts and prayers have allowed me to return to a faraway place of joy and love somewhere in East Tennessee for brief moments, and for those brief respites I cannot sufficiently express to any of you my gratitude. I only hope that when this is all over, I can manage to somehow express the love I have for you all, which has been made so much more apparent to me in this difficult time.

If any of you should see another one of you, tell that other one thanks for me.

10 comments:

  1. whew, i'm glad you have turned the corner and are settling in. sounds like things are improving daily - that's great. yesterday was beth's 21st birthday - can't believe you all are all grown up now...that's tough on us old folks. thinking about you every day and hoping you'll have lots of great adventures to report. stay safe - love you - aunt stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound so much better and I am so thankful for that it hurts this old grandmother heart to know you are sad. I thank God that he has helped you in your time of need. I know you will be very strong and enjoy this ride. Not everyone has the knowledge that you do and you use it well. we miss you also but this will be over soon and look at the memories you will have. nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your good luck charm and you had a do-wacka-do-wacka-do etc. etc.

    I am refreshed in my spirit to hear and read of your contentedness(is that a word?). Mom and I are also counting the days! Twister took a trip to th evert this morning and brother was that a show!! I am thanking God for answered prayers and prayer warriors. You are always deeply connected to home and the ones you love by Him.

    Love from your Father and your father

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does Dad always make me cry?

    I'm glad we got to talk yesterday. I made Sam dig weeds and spread mulch all the way around the house. You should be glad you weren't here because you too would have been not-so-gainfully employed. When you can, call me and let me know how the Bible study went the other night. Oh, and I know you're not supposed to take rocks out of state parks, but if you happen to be around come cool ones outside the border, feel free to bring me some.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you all. Very much. Sorry I haven't posted the last bit of my road trip: I've been a little short on time and internet connection lately. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kent, although I am not a family member, I thought I would drop you a quick line also. I love reading your blog, it's very entertaining and I am sure this "big adventure" is just a paving stone for the next trip to Europe. Just think you could still be here at BDP enjoying the daily scenery of storage rooms and us. I know the scenery there is a definite improvement over here!! Have a great week!!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and I look forward to future posts. Hang in there, Sport, as I join the others who are praying for you. Lots of love to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited your site with the sole intent of posting a comment since I had read everything yesterday, and I was surprised to see a comment from my sister who beat me to it. Ditto to her post. I too thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog.
    Continued love and prayers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kent! I remember on my first trip to Ukraine sitting in the Charlotte airport with the thought "what have i done? There is no turning back now." I sense similar thoughts in your writings. But it seems like you are adjusting well to your new surroundings. I'm sure it will get better and it may be lame to say BUT most things in life that are rewarding are also quite difficult. And if your experience is anything like mine have been in the past....once you get past the beginning and initial shock of it all, it gets MUCH better. Are you checking your utc email by any chance cuz I wanted to write you something there....

    -Rachel Sauls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your love and encouragement. As it turns out, I'm back home now. I'll be posting soon to explain.

    Peace and Grace.

    ReplyDelete